Last updated on March 8th, 2019
Dark underarms are a big no-no and certainly a mood spoiler. You must have tried numerous ways already to lower skin discoloration under your arms. There are many remedies the internet has to combat underarm darkness; but in reality, very few actually work.
The common causes of darker underarms are dead skin cells, poor ventilation, excess shaving and alcohol-based deodorants. Also, it is believed to lower the skin quality and color due to excessive usage of hair removing creams, sweat and many more.
But if you think neglecting such dark underarms is just fine, then you must read more. Health experts found dark armpits can be caused due to Acanthosis Nigricans and is associated with hormonal disorders, heavy medication, obesity and cancer.
Some dermatologists think the lack of enough sunlight and excess sweat formation causes underarm darkness. Most commonly, excess heat formation in armpits causes skin discoloration.
So, it is essential that you maintain a healthy track of your underarm skin. A small effort can enhance armpit skin and lower darkness.
Home Remedies To Lower Underarms
1: Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is best known for its moisturizing effects on the skin. The vitamin E can help reduce the dark armpits and removes the dead skin cells. Also, this potent oil can work as a natural deodorant that can prevent foul smell and hydrates the underarm skin simultaneously.
How To Use Coconut Oil?
- Apply some coconut oil on your armpits and massage
- Let the oil absorption into the skin
- Wash after 10-15 minutes and repeat thrice a day to see
2: Raw Potato
Raw potato contains mild acidic properties that can act as a bleaching agent. This can help lower dark skin complexion while eliminating dead skin. Also, the antioxidant, vitamin C present in potato can help combat free radicals and improves skin hydration.
How To Use Raw Potato?
- Grate the potato and collect the juice
- Apply the potato juice on the armpits
- Allow the skin to soak the juice
- Keep it for 15-20 minutes and wash with lukewarm water
- Try using twice a day to see desirable results
Cucumber contains natural bleaching properties that can help exfoliate dead skin and treats dark skin tone. The vitamin C in the cucumber can help provide natural moisture to the skin that helps to lower armpit hardness.
How To Use Cucumber?
- Use cucumber, turmeric powder, lemon juice and make a paste
- Apply on the armpits
- Keep it for 30 minutes and wash
- Repeat twice a day to notice better results
Lemon is loaded with vitamin C, water and also contain natural beaching components, anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties. The juice of a lemon can help treat various skin issues including lowering underarm darkness. Lemon is used in multiple pastes and creams due to its rich vitamin C properties.
How To Use Lemon?
- Take and cut half into two
- Rub lemon wedge on your underarms for few minutes
- Allow the juice to absorb into the skin
- Wash your armpits after 10-15 minutes
- Repeat twice or thrice a day to lower dark skin complexion
5: Baking Soda
Baking soda can gently remove the dead skin cells from the skin surface. This can help lower the skin darkness caused due to dead skin. The bleaching properties can help inhibit the melanin production and the amphoteric properties help neutralize the pH levels.
How To Use Baking Soda?
- Mix baking soda with water to make a thick paste
- Apply on your underarms and scrub
- Keep it for 10-15 minutes and rinse it with water
- Repeat 4-5 times a week
You can use baking soda with lemon juice, coconut oil, and honey as well.
6: Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a skin care specialist that is included in most skin products and cream. The gel contains Aloesin, a tyrosinase inhibitor, an enzyme that can help treat skin pigmentation. Also, the antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of aloe vera can help treat and heal damaged skin.
How To Use Aloe Vera?
- Extract the fresh aloe vera gel from its leaf
- Apply the gel on your armpits and massage for a few minutes
- Keep it for 10-15 minutes and wash it with water
- Repeat 4-5 minutes a week to see desirable results
Turmeric can be one of the effective skin brightening agents that has powerful antioxidants, healing, and anti-inflammatory properties. The curcumin present in the turmeric can help give numerous skin and health benefits. Some dermatologists believe turmeric can give positively affect collagen and skin tissues.
How To Use Turmeric?
- Use turmeric powder, honey and milk
- Mix all the ingredients, make the paste and apply on your underarms
- Keep it for 10-15 minutes until it gets dry and rinse it
- Repeat twice a week
These are some of the home remedies that can help lower underarm darkness. Try using each remedy to notice its effectiveness and helpfulness.
The ingredients mentioned above are clinically proven to give skin enhancing results. So it well and see the results from them.